I'm a quitter.

IT’S ABOUT TIME…

“I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads me. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – R. Castro

Do you always go with the flow? Do you allow people to control the way you decide and live your life? Have you experienced doing things you’re not happy about, but you’re doing it because that’s what society dictates you to do? If your answer is YES. STOP! Think about it. Think carefully! Maybe it’s time to make a change.

I had this dream of becoming a Director of Rooms Division after having a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management last 2013. The typical goal of everyone I think, after graduating in college. I mean to be at the top of the chain or at least have a job in line with their education. So I was working for this hotel company in the past 4 years and started my career back in Makati, Philippines as a Customer Care Representative, then became a Guest Relations Officer.

After 3 years, I got an opportunity to work abroad in one of their affiliated hotels in Oman (Middle East). I worked as a Front Desk Agent and later on became a Night Auditor. And that was actually the moment that I’ve been waiting for, to be part of a hotel operations team, feel the real deal in the industry and be a step closer to the path towards my dream job.

A few months later, the excitement and drive were gone, I’m burned out. I’m not happy and I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I don’t know if there’s something wrong with the people (manager and colleagues) around me or with the place itself, or maybe it’s just me. I had a lot of questions that need to be answered like, Why all of a sudden I felt unhappy with my job? Am I good enough? Maybe I’m not for this industry? Should I continue? But there’s only one thing I’m sure about during that time, I always wanted to travel. Because I know “Traveling fills my soul and I can’t contain the happiness I always felt every time I visit unfamiliar places.” From that moment, I’ve decided that it’s about time. It’s about time to travel.

I'm a quitter.

(My last night at work)

It was my first travel abroad and not as a tourist but as a foreign worker. I was one of the youngest employees during that time and I don’t have as much experience as others do. I was assigned to a very isolated area wherein only 3 concrete buildings are there, the rest was sand, few wild camels, and donkeys. No public transportations, no school, no church for non-Muslims, no malls, far more different from the place I used to work in the Philippines. Though, a shuttle is provided three times a week, for us to buy our necessities to the ONLY grocery store in the area which will take us 10-15 minutes ride from our accommodation. And that’s how secluded the area is. See the pictures below, taken a day before I left the province. 🙂

I'm a quitter.

(Building 1: On the upper left, my workplace Building 2: The competitor, on the upper right corner and Building 3: Our accommodation, where I’m standing at)

I avow that I’m impulsive sometimes, I make decisions without careful consideration about my future. I’m also the person who gets easily bored with a situation when I feel that it’s already routinary. You will go to work, do the same tasks over and over again. And sometimes even extend to 1-3 unpaid hours for nothing. Maybe, you will not believe but that’s how it works in some hotels. In addition, I play safe. I tend to establish a new comfort zone when I’m pressured, create a world that minimizes stress and risk when my ego got hit and run away from my problems. I had been planning this big move for 9 months after my 3-month-probationary. Imagine how early it was for a 2-year-contract, but still, I don’t have a clear or rough idea of what my life would look like once I quit.

I'm a quitter.

(The hotel that I’ve been working with for a year, facing the Arabian Sea)

I’m now on the verge of giving up all my dreams and plans in the industry and thinking to transition to a new career. I remember a previous manager of mine told me “Think about the reasons why you signed on for the job in the first place. No matter how boring or unfulfilling your job has become, you probably took the job for some good reasons”. But even after thinking about all of my reasons a hundred times and after weighing things. I was unhappy and I can’t see myself anymore in this place and in the industry. It only made me realize that there was more to life than the corporate grind.

I'm a quitter.

(A gloomy weather on my last day)

(Read article: “Flight WY0821 bound for Saigon” to see the real reasons why I quit my job)

I’m a quitter.

Having said that, I quit my job. I’ll admit, it’s a bit tough to look confident and composed when you’re quitting your job especially in my field. I know it can create as much as of an impression and affect my reputation. But by the time I filed my resignation, there’s only one thought that keeps running through my mind… “EXCITEMENT!” Yes, I’m excited! I’m excited to leave the place. I’m excited about my new journey and be the person I want to be.

I know that moving to another place will somewhat yield frustrations and disappointments about unmet expectations. Yet, there’s one lesson I’ve learned in this journey which I’m very thankful for. “Be grateful”. Appreciate the things around you. I can say that I’m grateful for my experiences, whether it’s good or bad, during my entire stay. I’ve also realized that every experience we encounter has always had an aspect that you can be grateful for. Even sometimes it’s hard to think of one at the time.

At some point in our lives, we have once experienced the lowest and the hardest. But it never stops there. Just keep moving! Never regret a single moment of your journey. Maybe it’s not the right destination yet. It’s just a preparation for something better, for something great. Life is beautifully crazy! Step outside your comfort zone! Give it a try, because you’ll never know what this beautiful world has to offer you.

“Don’t let the fire of your ambitions burn out. You must vow to follow your path with determination.”    – Captain Usopp (One Piece)

I'm a quitter.

(Muscat International Airport heading to Asia)

For more travel stories visit my Facebook fan page, Twitter and Instagram account.

61 comments

1. Jill

Ive been feeling the same now… Im also in the hospitality industry for so many years..I’ve landed a job here in middle East which I think most people would wish they have.. I worked hard in getting what I thought was my dream job but I felt something is still missing. Then I decided to travel and it was great I learned new cultures , met new people, I love listening to their stories. I am always shy as a person but I overcome it a little bit when I am in travel..now I’m rethinking about everything, my career, my goals , what I really want..then I came across with your blog, and I was happy knowing that am not the only one who is having the same dilemna. Your very brave and I wish I have the same strong heart as you are.

• JK

Hello Jill! I did it because I felt it’s about time to do it. I think it’s also about timing. It’s not that easy but I can proudly say it’s worth the risk. I know your time will come. Just believe in yourself and everything will fall into place. Again, thank you and I hope to see you somewhere when you’re already collecting stamps in your passport. Cheers! 🙂

2. Reply

Love this post and loved that you decided to follow your heart. Definitely needed to read this today. Best of luck to you.

3. Reply

I’m so glad I came across this blog post. A lot of people don’t do what they ACTUALLY want to do because they worry too much about what can go wrong, which stops them from even trying. It can feel scary to go a different way, like you mentioned the tiny apprehension about your reputation and appearing confident. But being grateful and appreciating all the good things can definitely impact your mindset and ultimately your actions in a positive way. Very well written JK! Good luck:D

• JK

Thank you Jigeesha! This article really means a lot to me and I’m happy seeing a comment like this. Thank you again and I really appreciate it. 🙂

4. Ashlee

I hope you find that excitement you’re looking for. I made a similar post myself because I understand the feeling. Unfortunately, I haven’t been working long enough to have enough money saved to quit. But one day I’ll make the decision you did!

• JK

Good to hear that. Can you drop a link to your post? I would love to read that. And just take it slow, you will feel it when it’s already your call. 🙂

5. Reply

I think this is absolutely an okay time to be a quitter! Sometimes, our lives change course and we find other blissful things to chase after. Just because you haven’t found your happy place yet doesn’t mean you won’t. Life is an adventure and you are very brave and courageous to chase after whatever fulfills you. I’m pretty excited to see where you land next, actually! Keep on keepin’ on because you are destined for greatness!

• JK

Thank You Kristi. You’re exactly right. I know with my courage and determination everything will fall into place. I’ll just keep gridin’ to achieve my goals and be happy. 🙂

6. Reply

I admire the fact that you just followed your gut! Sometimes it can be hard for me to do that, as I tend to doubt a lot for things. This post was truly captivating. Thanks fro sharing!

• JK

Thank you Michelle. I settled for long in being OKAY and wait for something good to happen but, I can’t wait forever. So I gotta do something and make my dreams happen. And yeah it’s gut feeling. 🙂

• JK

That’s exactly my point. You gotta keep moving and be the person you want to be. Thank you Corinne! 🙂

7. Reply

You really have some courage. I usually stay because I feel comfortable doing the same routine but I wish I did what you did when I was younger.

8. Reply

Ohh best of luck my dear! You are so brave and admire you. Indeed a lot of courage is needed to finally decide to leave a company and go out of your comfort zone. Life is beautifully crazy so go and enjoy!

9. Reply

I’m glad you decided to move and follow your heart’s desires. It’s really important that we do that in life instead of feeling stuck or burnt out.

• JK

Thank you Ann! Yeah. It’s kinda hard when you feel stuck and burnt out so you really need to step outside and move! 🙂

10. Reply

You held my attention through the entire post. Wow! Not many people are able to build up the courage needed to jump out of their comfort zone like that. I really admire your drive. Best of luck on your adventure and never let the fire of your ambition burn out!!

11. Reply

You did a great job and put great insights as I am too going thru the same issues as you. I just don’t have the right heart or job just to quit yet. And another difference is I am here in the Philippines, with friends and family and have some other reasons to get the stress out of thinking. That’s why I leave the thought behind sometimes. But then again, you give me some things just for me to re-think, thank you!

• JK

Hello Jowell, just follow what your heart truly desires. Don’t rush. You will feel it, if it’s already the right time. It may test your patience but I assure the perfect time will come. 🙂

12. Reply

Hi JK,
    Love to read this article. I like the quote that don’t burn out your ambition so quickly but follow it with determination slowly. It can take the long time to give you result but it gives the better result.
    Thank you for your story!
    Ashutosh Singh

13. Reply

When your job no longer makes you happy, it’s about time you consider all your options and choose a path that gives you more motivation to move forward. I think you did well in terms of moving and finding a new job.

14. Reply

We go on in life with all these plans only to find out that it’s not for us after all that we’ve done to achieve it. I think we must always follow what fuels our passion, because that’s what keeps life worth living.

15. Reply

Good luck in your next step. It sounds like you have done the right thing for you in the long term and hopefully it will help take you towards a job that you can enjoy and love.

16. Reply

When I graduated with a biology degree and landed my first professional job in a biotech company, I was the few people who graduated into a recession and got a job. I always wanted to work in biotech, then I encountered the ugliness of the business: the low wages, the practices, the politics. I worked for two employers where I was given the short end of the stick. Then I got let go. It was scary and refreshing at the same time. Scary because I did not know where my stream of income would come from and if I wanted to apply for another biotech company. Fast forward several years later, I found something else that makes me happier, where I feel I am making a difference in serving the community. Now i am pursuing a Masters in Public Administration.

• JK

Wow! Good to hear that. At the end of the day, that’s what actually matters. Doing things that make you happy. Just keep moving and Goodluck to your Masters. 🙂

17. Ate Terry

‘Your the best ! . I love of what you said to “Just keep moving. Never regret a single moment of your journey”. Because we know from that journey we can collect memories from our experiences & people. Keep it up !! 😁❤😆.

18. Mohammed

Thank you for the time which you spend it with us bro. Looking forward to seeing you again.

19. Tanaka

Happy you enjoying you new path and proud of your boldness it’s not easy to make those calls, go out and conquer the world

20. Trixie Joy Alcantara

At some point in time we always find our job very tiring especially when we are surrounded by unwanted enviroment and unwanted people. Still I cant believe you were able to stay there for a year. Its good that you’ve finally decided to leave and found what your heart truly desires. Happy for you. Salute! 😊