How to start a blog in 2021?
“You don’t need to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Zagler
To be honest with you, I really don’t believe in myself that I can make and start a blog in the first place. There’s a friend of mine who influenced me in making one. He saw me posting a lot of my travel photos on Facebook and then he asked “Why don’t make a blog? You got great pictures.” I said, “Oh it’s not my thing, I’m too lazy for that and I don’t know how and where to start?” He replied: “You don’t need to rush just do it at your own pace and share your travel photos, that’s it.” That made me think twice. So I made one for my travels and personal experiences.
Well, I thought it was hard, but you can actually set-up a blog in less than 1 hour. I’ll show you in this article the step by step process of making a blog. Are you ready?
Step 1: Name your Blog
This is the most important part of making a blog. Because this will be your online identity and will describe your niche. You gotta be careful in choosing your name. Think of a unique name that will stand out, something that will show your readers who you really are and something that will progress as you do.
In my case, I came up to this name “juanjourney.com” for three reasons. First, Juan is my Spanish name (John). In other words, my journey. Second, the name “Juan” is the national personification of the people in the Philippines. Lastly, when you read the word “Juan”, people who will hear it will think it’s the number “One” well that’s intentional. I want my readers to know that I only have ONE goal, ONE journey, and ONE reason why I made this blog. And that is to inspire people with my travels and life experiences.
Step 2: Getting online
Here’s a step by step process on how to get your blog online…
I. Hosting and buying your website
– Website hosting is simply leasing or renting a space online where your blog will appear on. I got mine from BlueHost. And I highly recommend this company because their rates are very cheap. When I say CHEAP, it means only ranges from $3.95 to $5.95 per month. Plus if you’re still not sure, they also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s all up to you. But what I like the most here is they have a live chat support that’s available 24/7 which I often need.
– On the other side, buying your website is registering your domain name online and getting the rights of it, if it’s available or no one else has used it before. In my case, “juanjourney.com”. This will actually cost you around $15-$25 per year. BUT with BlueHost, when you do the website hosting with them, they will give your domain registration for free. ISN’T IT A GREAT DEAL?
II. Getting started
– So after getting a blog name and knowing what website hosting is. It’s now time to put it in reality and let ’s get your blog started today. Just click the link and let’s head over to the BlueHost home page.
A. You will see this page and click the green button stating: “get started now”
B. Pick your plan
– After clicking on the “Get Started Now” button you will be directed to this page and you have to choose which hosting plan you want. For me, you can just select the basic plan but it’s all up to you if what you think will be good for your website.
C. Buying your Domain Name
– Then it’s time to buy and check the availability of your blog name. After selecting the right plan for you, Type the name of your blog you want to buy and click next. If you see these prompts: “The domain ***** is not available for registration” or “The domain ***** is the primary domain of another account and cannot be re-signed up while the account is active.” Don’t panic, as I told you, think carefully about your blog name and keep trying, you’ll find the right one for you.
D. Filling in your information
– In this part, after filling in your personal information, you will also choose to sign up for your hosting from 12-36 months with the prices varying from $3.95 – $5.95 per month. Again, it’s up to you what you think is the best for you for a start-up. But as a first-time blogger, I think 12 months will be a good choice. (Payment options: Paypal, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex)
E. BlueHost password
– After completing your personal details, it’s now time to create your password to be able to login to your account and use your new hosting features. Just click the green button: “Create your password”. Once you’ve decided your password, tick the checkbox on the lower left corner of the screen and click “Next”. That’s it! You can now log in to your account and start working on your website.
Step 3: Installing WordPress and picking a theme for your blog
So you’re done with all those necessary procedures (domain registration, hosting, password, etc.), it’s now time to install WordPress and design your blog. Here are the steps in picking a theme and installing the WordPress:
A. After creating a password, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. There are a lot of free themes you can choose from and don’t be afraid to pick any as you can change it later on if you want.
B. Also, Bluehost has a new feature that installs WordPress automatically so you have nothing to worry about. Just click on “Start Building” and that’s it you’re a few steps away in making your blog live on the internet.
C. Then, on the next screen, you can choose either “Business” or “Personal” whatever your purpose is, it’s really up to you.
D. But after that, your blog still not on the internet yet. I mean you still have time to work on your site and have an option when to unveil your website to the public. Just click the “Launch” button when you’re ready and that’s it! Your blog is LIVE, up and running. 🙂
Step 4: Logging in to your website, designing and making your first post
After providing your username and password click “Log In”. At this point, it’s time to make your site more appealing and make it really looks like a blog. Only YOU can access your “Dashboard” and this will be your “Online Control Room” where you can correct, edit, publish posts, and improve your website.
Once you’ve successfully logged in, this how it looks like and you can go to the sidebar in the left-hand side of the screen. Go to “Appearance” and select “Themes”. Keep looking for something that you think will suit your blog. There are hundreds of FREE themes you can choose from and just click “Activate” and you’re good to go.
Once you’ve chosen one and activated it, you can go to the icon on the upper left corner of your screen and click “Visit Site” to check and see how your new theme looks like.
Now we’re on the most exciting part of this guide, writing and publishing your very FIRST BLOG POST!
Go back to the “Dashboard”, click on “Posts” then “Add New”. You can start now writing your blog post by giving a title on the subject box. Once you’re all set and ready, just click the “Publish” button on the right side of your screen. If you want to see how it looks like on your website before publishing it, you can click the “Preview” button. And you’ll be directed to your website. Yehey! YOU MADE IT!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I TOLD YOU, IT’S EASY AS 1, 2, 3
You can start sharing it with your family and friends then, on bigger platforms like (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.). Build an audience. By the way, you can track the people visiting your site by signing up in Google Analytics. Don’t be discouraged if no one visits your website in a couple of days, weeks, or months. I’m talking about HUGE TRAFFIC (people who visit your site). In my case, it took me 10 months before the REAL traffic comes in. Just be yourself, when writing your articles. Successful bloggers monetized their blogs through Google Adsense, Sponsored Posts, Ebooks, Brand Ambassadorships and more. I will tell you more about it in my upcoming articles. For now, focus on producing high-quality contents, building your audience and everything will follow.
If you’re still confused after signing up with Bluehost, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or send me a message on Facebook and Instagram. I will reply as soon as I read your email, assist you on how to start a blog?, and definitely do my best to help you out.
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
P.S.: Not just How to start a blog? Know more about my travels and life experiences follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or start reading my blogs here. Thank you and I hope to see you all on the road. 🙂